Thursday, February 18, 2010

Not out of the Woods yet

Here is a perfect example of how I have a difficult time understanding how people think. The three major networks, ABC, CBS and NBC, will be interrupting regular programming tomorrow to show Tiger Woods give a public statement. Now, I haven’t been living under a rock the last few months, so I know what the story behind his statement is. What I can’t seem to understand is why everyone cares… and cares so much that it will be broadcast live on hundreds of millions of TV’s.


I think people spend way too much time concerned with the personal lives of celebrities. This obsession gets magnified the more famous the person and the more negative the behavior. They don’t break in live when someone has a press conference about how they just gave a large grant to a university, or built a hospital, or any number of things that make this world a better place. The media feeds on negativity because they know that that is what the people want. It’s the same situation as with food. We can’t blame the media for giving people what they want.

I frankly don’t care. It’s none of my business what Tiger Woods does in his personal life. I guess I might be disappointed if I felt that he was someone I looked up to as a family man, but I’ve never had any reason or desire to do that.

In case you’re not able to watch the statement live tomorrow, or on every news and sports station for the entire week, here’s a quick breakdown of what he is going to say (and no, I’m not a psychic):

“I’d like to apologize first to my family and friends. Also to my fans and to the game of golf”

“I’ve made some mistakes, and my family and I are dealing with those mistakes”

“I’m only human, I’m not perfect”

“My family and I would appreciate if you would allow us to deal with this personal and private situation”



Just a guess… and since he won’t be taking questions, I’m sure it will just ignite a firestorm of more headlines. By the way, did anyone notice that the Olympics were on?

No comments:

Post a Comment